Monday, June 21, 2010

I'm thankful for you

Normally Father's Day isn't my favorite holiday, because well, my father is not a part of my life. When I was younger it would make me sad, but as I have gotten older and matured I have realized that it is just a fact of life. My mother always did the best she could to take care of my sisters and I, and for that I am so thankful. I hope one day I can be as strong and resilient as she is. I have also come to realize that although I was lacking my real father, the Lord has given me some pretty amazing men to look up to in my life. First of all my Grandfather: he is by no means perfect but loves his family with all his heart. From the time I was three weeks old until I was five we lived in Tennessee near my grandparents. I couldn't have been happier and was so heartbroken when we moved back to California. My Grandpa did everything with us and I still love him so much. He was the one who took me to my ballet and tap lessons and would take me for an ice cream afterward. We would go fishing together: me and my sisters with our kiddie fishing poles, and my Gramps with his real one. Every Sunday we would all go to Church together and have our Sunday dinner at my great Grandma's house. These are some of my earliest and fondest memories. As I grew up and we were separated by 2,000 miles we kept in touch through letters and phone calls and would see each other every summer when he would come to California to visit. I am happy to say that we are still close, and he and my Mom walked me down the aisle last year when my husband and I said "I Do." He also danced with me to what was supposed to be the "father daughter dance" but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. He always knew how to love my sisters and I the way a Father should and I am so thankful to have him as my Grandfather. He holds a very special place in my heart, and although I know he isn't reading this, I love you Grandpa! :)
I have also been blessed enough to have a wonderful father in law. He has welcomed me into his family and although it took some getting used to, I am starting to think I'm growing on him! ;) He has sacrificed so much for his children and always made sure his kids were taken care of before himself. I know my husband looks up to him so much and am thankful for the many times he has helped us out. Today was a pretty relaxed day and I spent most of the day with my mother in law preparing for dinner and running errands. We also washed both of our cars and she even spoiled him a bit and washed his truck. What a great wife! :) We had some home made guacamole and chips, bbq chicken, white rice and salad with baby spinach and avocados! It was a wonderful dinner and I made chocolate pudding for dessert! We enjoyed a nice family evening together and the only thing missing was my husband. I took this photo of my father in law to show his excitement as he said today was "HIS DAY!" lol! 

He had us cracking up all day and it was a pretty nice Father's Day after all. :) I was missing my husband more than usual today (holidays are always the hardest) but it made me happy to have such a nice day in spite of him being gone. I hope you all had a lovely Father's Day as well and were able to spend some quality time with your families. :)



7 comments:

  1. i'm so glad you have such great in-laws! mine have helped out so much while my honey has been away and I'm glad you're getting support too! :)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet and I know how you feel my father was n ever around either, but it's great to have inlaws who you can spend time with I always loved that when I was back in Texas it made me feel closer to my hubby to spend time with them while he was away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Dad's don't always have to be the ones that "create" you! Yayyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to hear that you had a great Father's Day! :)
    Dinner with the in-laws sounded yummy haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so great that you have other men in your life that have made a wonderful impact. I have also grown up without my father (for the most part) so I know how that goes. But, at least you have some great guys in your life and some awesome in-laws!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the sweetest picture of you and your grandpa! I'm so glad you have a good family you feel comfortable with. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so blessed to have such a wonderful grandpa who can be there like that for you. I love the picture of you two dancing. I'm sure you'll treasure that memory forever.

    ReplyDelete