Sunday, April 3, 2011

Back to Reality...I need your advice!

Well my lovelies, vacation is over and tomorrow I'll be headed back to my horrible job. I am dreading it. I mean, of course no one ever really "wants" to go back to work, but the thought of going back there makes me want to hide under my covers and never leave my bed. I think I'm more than a little burnt out already due to the last THREE months of working SIX DAY STRAIGHT every single week. I'm exhausted all the time and I have no time or energy to actually do the things I need to do. For example: cleaning my house, making dinner, washing my clothes, going to the doctors etc etc. Much less to do anything fun like go to the movies, the beach or even blog. (If you've noticed my blog posts have gone way down since I started working in September last year, because I have nooo time to even blog! :(

Management expects us to give them our vacation plans for the WHOLE year, which is pretty much impossible for a military spouse, seeing as things change a million and one times over. They also expect us to request days off a month and a half in advance...so basically it sounds to me like they expect us NOT to have lives of our own outside of our jobs. I've only been working here for six months and I'm already tired of it. No one wants to work hard when you are never recognized or appreciated. I'm tired of working for people who expect me to bend over backward for a job that doesn't pay well enough and that I find just plain stifling and boring. 

I didn't even hate working retail this much! That should be a sign of what is wrong with this place...I'm tempted to start applying at some clothing stores in the mall so I can at least be around fashion, which is something I've always been passionate about. I love the creative aspect of merchandising and putting out new shipments as well as helping people find that perfect out fit they are looking for. I know the hours aren't as "normal" and I would have to work every single Holiday but I'm already used to that. I never thought I'd say this but I actually miss working at a clothing store!  I need some advice ladies, I've been wrestling with this idea for awhile now and I'm tired of being miserable, so its obvious I need a change. What would you do?

I'm also worrying about telling my managers that I'm registering for summer school and that I won't be able to work all the crazy hours they keep scheduling me for. When I took this job it was only supposed to be 29 hours a week and it somehow turned into 46 hours a week. 

I really just want to work part time and have college as my main focus. I'm so close to finishing my associates and my dream is to transfer to ODU and get my bachelors and my teaching credential so I can become a history teacher. My husband makes enough money to cover all our bills and technically I could not work and we'd be ok, but money would be tight and I wouldn't be able to afford to go to school. So basically I need to work to be able to go to school, but I'm just torn about whether I should just tough it out where I'm at now or try and find a new job and hope I'll be happier.

Any thoughts, ideas, or words of advice? I could really use some right now, especially since my husband isn't here to make me laugh and feel better about this whole situation. I need help!!!



Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Here is my opinion, you have to do what makes you happy! If money isn't that bad and you can "shop" around for a different job that you may enjoy better, then do it! Plus if you are going full time with school, it should come first and I think you would be so burnt out working all those hours and going to school! I say look for a part time job. Between that and school you should keep yourself plenty busy during this deployment, but not so busy that you have zero time for anything else. Or...you can tell your manager that you want to drop to part time, that you are focusing on your education and cannot be a full time employee at this point and time. What it comes down to is this life is stressful enough and you really don't need any more, do you, and do what makes you happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMO life is to short to be so unhappy, especially so unhappy about a job! If I was in your shoes, I'd start looking for something that I would enjoy doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first suggestion is to talk to your managers about the hours. If you came on board with the preconsception of working less than 30 hours a week, tell them that has to go into effect. You have other responsibilities that have been taking the back burner because of the hours.

    If you're all in all not happy in your job setting, then it might not hurt to look elsewhere, but you may just be burnt out from working 6 days a week (I know I would be).

    Good luck! I hope you find happiness. I've always enjoyed my office job over retail, but my husband is the exact opposite... he could never sit behind a desk all day. It's all about the person. Be sure to stress that you will be going back to school & you would like to sit down with them to work out a schedule that works for both you & the office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GIRL! I am with you. I am working full time and going to school. I basically make my own schedule. We are supposed to work 37.5 hours each week. I've probably worked 100 hours these past two weeks. I have no time to do anything. I get up, work, come home, do work or school stuff, bed. I have no time to blog and that makes me sad. Plus, I am planning a wedding. I am a salaried employee, so the "overtime" I work, I bank. So, eventually, I can use that time to take off without using personal or vacation or sick days, etc. I could go into more detail. Just send me an email :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you said, you should start applying for jobs elsewhere, and then when you get a new one, quit the old job and start your new job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My biggest piece of advice would be to say that you have to be happy. It's the cardinal rule, you should live to work not work to live. You should like what you and be happy doing it. If that means you need to take a different job or work less hours while you go to school to do what really makes you happy, then you should!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd start applying elsewhere and just see if anything comes of it. Hopefully you can find something you like to do and be able to focus on school as well. Easier said than done, I know, but I'd be totally burned out by what you're currently doing too. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. IF I were you, I would apply for some fun retail positions that might not pay as well, but would definitely be more flexible on hours and probably more relaxed and non-stressful. With school starting soon, you will need to trim out those things that stress you out and take away from what's more important; education!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute blog! Sorry about your job, but I'm sure you'll figure things out - good luck!

    xo Jess

    http://cheapbutchicclothes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete