Sunday, May 8, 2011

Chick Flicks

Saturday after work I headed to the movies with my partner in crime, Sarah. We had been dying to see the new romantic comedy, "Something Borrowed," since we saw previews for it a couple weeks ago. If you live under a rock and haven't seen the trailer yet, you can view it here.
 Although I really liked the movie, there was just something about the whole "cheating," factor that bothered me. The whole premise of the movie was that a nerdy law school student at NYU meets a handsome guy in one of her classes and has a huge crush on him. Thinking he couldn't possibly feel the same way about her, she ends up watching as the guy she's in love with starts dating her best friend. 

Fast forward a couple years and the best friend and guy are about to get married, when the main character Rachel ends up hooking up with her bf's fiance. Yes, she liked him first, but does that make it ok? It just seemed a bit like the movie was glamorizing cheating. At least that's how it seemed to me.

I donno, I guess I am just old fashioned or I have a stronger "girl code," than the chicks in this movie, but I don't think I would ever have the ability to sleep with my best friend's fiance. I would just feel so awful! It was still a cute movie, and was pretty hysterical but I felt like it could have been better. Kate Hudson was pretty obnoxious the entire movie, and really made you want to slap her at times!
 Oh well, at least John Krasinski was in it and looking pretty handsome. ;)
I really loved his style in this film, he had a more clean cut look instead of his usual goofy hair. Plus those Ray Bans look so good on him!♥

Anyway...I'm not sure it sent the right message, but I did like it none the less. You definitely need to see it if you haven't, because it WILL make you laugh your butt off. :)



Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you! My husband and I saw this movie Friday and I said almost exactly what you said. It was funny and all, but it still felt wrong. As much as I wanted the girl to get her guy, the fact that they were messing around on her best friend really bothered me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right?! I totally felt the same way about the movie. I went with my family to see it and they loved it, I thought it was just ok, ya it was funny, but it didn't leave me feeling good inside like chick flicks are supposed to

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you! I haven't seen this movie yet but whenever I watch something that glamorizes cheating or affairs it just ruins it for me. I just could never imagine doing that to anybody and think it's one of the lowest things a person can do. It just seems weird when movies do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read the book! I never get to go to the movies anymore:( I miss it!!!!! So, I will have to wait until it comes out on DVD to actually see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the book and can't wait to see the movie :)

    ReplyDelete