Thursday, August 11, 2011

Cooking makes me happy :)

Mostly because eating makes me happy...Either way, when I am cooking nothing else going on in my life matters. I forget my worries and my cares and for a brief moment life doesn't seem so bad. The one thing I love more than cooking (and eating) is seeing other people enjoy my food. 

I am by no means a great cook, but I am learning and slowly branching out and trying some new recipes. One of my deployment goals this year has been to learn and perfect 20 new recipes before my husband returns home next year. 

After a few of my friends on fb suggested I start posting the recipes I've tried I decided to take the plunge and post at least one new recipe a week until my husband comes home. 

I'm hoping to find some really great dishes to make for my husband once he is back in our cozy little home. ♥ 

This week I decided to make fried round steak, crash hot potatoes and biscuits. Perfect food to satisfy any one's appetite! (That is unless you're a vegetarian.)

This recipe is beyond simple and only requires a few ingredients. For the Steaks you'll need:
-2 to 4 cube steaks
-flour, seasoning salt, pepper & regular salt
-vegetable oil or canola oil 

For the Crash Hot Potatoes You'll need:
-Potatoes
-extra virgin olive oil 
-fresh rosemary
-salt and pepper
If you are making these together you should start the potatoes first. 
-Wash potatoes. Boil a pot of water and throw the potatoes in until tender. 
 -Next drizzle olive oil over a cookie sheet so the potatoes won't stick. 
 -Place the potatoes on the cookie sheet and smash with a potato smasher, or a whisk. 
-Next using a pastry brush coat potatoes in olive oil. Sprinkle with some fresh rosemary, salt and pepper. Use generously, you can never add too much! :)Preheat oven to 450 degrees and cook for 20-25 mins or until golden brown. Mmmmmm!!! Sooo good!
Once the potatoes have been in the oven for awhile start the steaks. 
-Mix 1 cup flour with seasoning salt, pepper and regular salt. Put as much as you like. Mix well.
-Sprinkle seasonings on both sides of the steak before coating both sides in flour mixture. 
-While you are doing this heat up the oil in a large skillet. Once it is hot enough put the steaks in and flip over once they are a nice crispy brown color. 
-Once they are done lay them on a plate with a paper towel to drain off the excess oil. Then you are done!
I also made a bunch of grands biscuits, (don't judge me, I'm not a pro)
And believe me, they were deeeelicious! :)
Over all I was soooo happy with this dinner. It was super easy and my deployment buddy Brittany enjoyed it too. ♥ 
She also made some amazing smore cookies....just look how gooey they were...Yummy!! 
Anyway, thats the first edition of "Cooking makes me happy" and I hope you all enjoyed it. What new recipes are you loving this week?



Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Love the title, "Cooking Makes me Happy," so very true! Can't wait to make more things! I need to find healthy deserts though! :) Also have to get your tabs up and running this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that looks so good! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! this looks so delicious. I wish I had the patience and time to cook like this. It's one of my goals. I admire you, and Ill have to give this a shot.
    check out my blog for my very first giveaway :)
    untilyoucomehome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! can you make me a plate ? :) I am a terrible cook and need to practice more, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete